Abortion is a controversial topic, causing disputes between various social, religious, and moral groups. Laws regarding abortion even vary from in every state. That being said, here are some interesting facts about abortion you probably didn’t know.
1. You’re extremely unlikely to die from getting an abortion.
In fact, according to CDC reports childbirth about 14 times more deadly than abortion
2. The majority of people in the U.S think abortion should be made legal.
51% of people surveyed in the U.S. say abortion should be legal in all or most cases.
3. 37% of all pregnancies in New York City end in abortion.
In the New York City Of 197,046 viable pregnancies, 73,815, or about 37 percent, ended in “induced terminations” in 2012.
4. Many female fetuses are aborted every year because of China’s one-child policy.
Every year, about a million girl fetuses are aborted, and tens of thousands of girl babies are abandoned in China because of their one-child policy.
5. There is more than one type of abortion procedure.
There are different types of abortion, and which one you should get typically comes down to how far along in pregnancy you are.
6. 90% of down syndrome cases and in abortion.
Over 90% of women who learn that they are carrying a baby with Down Syndrome will choose abortion over keeping their baby.
7. Islam allows abortion.
Islam allows abortion if the pregnancy is a threat to the woman’s life or if it’s the result of a rape and is less than four months old.
8. A computer glitch once caused two abortions.
In January 2000, due to a computer glitch, incorrect Down syndrome test results were sent to 154 pregnant women, and two abortions were carried out.
9. The majority of women seeking abortion are not teenagers.
58% of the people who seek abortion are in their 20s, and 6 in 10 already have a child at home.
10. The abortion rate is declining
From 2011 to 2014, the U.S. abortion rate dropped by 12% due to a decrease in unintended pregnancies and an increase in the use of contraceptives. Even though abortions are very common in the United States, the total number of abortions has been declining year after year.
Join our writing team and develop your writing skills, as you see your articles featured on Apple News, Google News, and all around the world. Subscribe to our newsletter, What Just Happened, where we dive deep into the hottest topics from the week!