UFC president Dana White has said in an interview that Conor McGregor is “ready to go” for a UFC fight. According to him, the Irish Mixed Martial Artist is looking to make his comeback on the fight island.
UFC has faced a huge setback due to the COVID-19 crisis, bringing the sports to a standstill. However, the MMA is set to return this weekend when Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje will headline UFC 249 from Florida.
The main event of the UFC 249 previously featured the undefeated Khabib Nurmagomedov, who was later replaced due to the travel restrictions imposed due to the COVID-19. Due to these travel restrictions, White has been working on the construction of a private island where he can stage international bouts. UFC 249 was originally set to be held on April 18 but was later rescheduled due to the COVID-19 crisis.
In his interview, Dana stated the featherweight and lightweight champion who won his last fight in January is Itching to return to the octagon. However, White was reluctant to host a McGregor fight without involving fans in it.
“Conor’s been ready to fight for a while. He’s in shape. He’s ready to go. First of all, ‘Fight Island’ is going to be very important in any of these fights that are happening with people from outside the country. He and I were texting. He’s asking me what date can I fight on ‘Fight Island’ and will there be fans. Conor’s asking me, Conor wants to fight. It kills me to do a fight with Conor without fans. Kills me. This guy’s doing almost $20million gates,” White told CBS Sports Network’s The Jim Rome Show.
Upcoming UFC events were also rescheduled, UFC 251 in Perth has been postponed indefinitely due to COVID-19, the event was scheduled for June 6. Previously the UFC has postponed the UFC 250 in Sao Paulo as well as events in Nebraska, Oklahoma City, and San Diego.
Do you want to publish on Apple News, Google News, and more? Join our writing community, improve your writing skills, and be read by hundreds of thousands around the world!