The world football governing body announced that Australia and New Zealand would co-host FIFA women’s world cup in 2023. Japan and Columbia were the other two countries in the race to win the hosting rights. FIFA’s technical evaluation gave Trans-Tasman neighbors a score of 4.1 out of 5. While Japan and Columbia received 3.9 and 2.8, respectively, this led to withdrawal from Japan earlier this month. Thus, the joint bid from Australia and New Zealand won the hosting rights. This will be the first time that the women’s world cup will take place in the southern hemisphere.
This will be a huge economic boost for both countries as the tournament will deliver hundreds of millions of dollars. Australia’s Youth and Sports Minister, Richard Colbeck, touted this as a huge opportunity. He said this is the biggest women sporting event in the world. Hence, this will thrust Australia’s economy in the right direction after the economic slowdown from coronavirus pandemic. Moreover, this will lead to more eyes of the football world on Australia.
New Zealand’s PM Jacinda Arden penned an open letter to FIFA in support of the bid and publicly backed the bid. She said that they are the leaders in the women’s football and its right step in achieving gender equality both on and off the pitch. She also said that the tournament would help grow football all across Asia-Pacific and beyond.
Women’s World Cup will begin on July 10, 2023. This will be the first edition where the 32 teams will compete for the world cup. The matches will be played across eight stadiums in Australia and five in New Zealand. This is about inspiring the next generation of girls to take up football as a career.
Do you want to publish on Apple News, Google News, and more? Join our writing community, improve your writing skills, and be read by hundreds of thousands around the world!