1. 98% of the total population are ethnic Greeks.
Turks form the largest minority group. Other minorities are Albanians, Macedonians, Bulgarians, Armenians, and gypsies.
2. There are more tourists in Greece than Greeks during the summer.
It’s one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world.
3. Alexander the Great was Greek.
Alexander the Great conquered land all the way from Greece to Asia.
4. The word Barbarian is originated from greek and has a funny meaning.
The word’s origin comes from the Greek barbaroi, which literally meant someone who doesn’t speak Greek because to them, others sounded like bar-bar-bar.
5. You cant wear stilettos while visiting Greece.
It’s an actual law that you can’t wear shoes that could damage historic sites like the Parthenon — think high heels. Scientists say that they put more pressure per square inch than an elephant.
6. There’s no opting-out of your right to vote.
Voting is required by law for every citizen who is 18 or older.
7. Democracy originated in Greece.
The Athenian Democracy was a system dating back to the fifth century B.C. It was a direct democracy system, where citizens with voting-rights voted directly on legislation and executive bills.
8. The official name of Greece is the Hellenic Republic.
The Greeks call their country Hellas or Hellada.
9. Greece houses the most number of archaeological museums in the world.
Greece has more than 100 archaeological museums.
Do you want to publish on Apple News, Google News, and more? Join our writing community, improve your writing skills, and be read by hundreds of thousands around the world!
More from Facts – News Landed
+ Mars Facts: Interesting facts about the Red Planet you never knew
+ 10 facts that you should know about the Holocaust
+ Moon Facts: Interesting facts about the Moon you never knew
+ The Ringed Planet: Interesting facts about Saturn you didn’t know