1. Saturn’s rings are not solid.
They are made up of bits of ice, dust, and rock.
2. Saturn is one of five planets able to be seen with the naked eye.
It is also the fifth brightest object in our solar system.
3. Saturn goes around the Sun very slowly.
A year on Saturn is more than 29 Earth years. Saturn spins on its axis very fast. A day on Saturn is 10 hours and 14 minutes.
4. Saturn is the second-largest planet in our solar system.
Saturn and Jupiter combined account for 92% of the entire planetary mass in the solar system.
5. Saturn has been visited by four spacecraft.
These are Pioneer 11, Voyager 1 and 2, and the Cassini-Huygen mission. Cassini entered into orbit in 2004 and continued to send information till 2017.
6. Saturn is the least dense planet in the solar system.
Saturn has a density of 0.687 grams/cubic centimeter. Just for comparison, water is 1 g/cm3, and the Earth is 5.52. That means the whole planet can actually float in water.
7. Saturn’s moon Titan is the second-largest moon in the Solar System.
Only Jupiter’s moon Ganymede is larger than it. 5 to 6 billion years from now, as the Sun becomes a red giant, Saturn’s moon Titan will become warm enough for life to evolve in a manner similar to Earth, possibly.
8. The day Saturday was named after Saturn.
Saturn is the Roman god of agriculture, known in Ancient Greece as Cronos. In Latin we have dies Saturni and it’s not hard to see that Saturday today is still very much Saturn’s day
9. It is very windy on Saturn.
Winds around the equator can be 1,800 kilometers per hour. On Earth, the fastest winds “only” get to about 400 kilometers per hour.
Do you want to publish on Apple News, Google News, and more? Join our writing community, improve your writing skills, and be read by hundreds of thousands around the world!
More from Facts – News Landed
+ Mars Facts: Interesting facts about the Red Planet you never knew
+ 10 facts that you should know about the Holocaust
+ Moon Facts: Interesting facts about the Moon you never knew
+ Panda facts: Interesting facts about the Giant Pandas you never knew
+ Lightning Facts: Interesting facts about the lightning you never knew