1. Gandhi was a teenager when he got married.
It was pretty common in those days. At 13, Gandhi got married to Kasturba. He was engaged to her from when he was 7.
2. Gandhi got his start as an activist in South Africa, not India.
In 1893 he traveled to South Africa and started his Satyagraha movement. Despite being arrested and imprisoned multiple times, Gandhi remained in South Africa until 1914.
3. Mahatma Gandhi was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize five times.
Mahatma Gandhi was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize five times but was never awarded the prize.
4. Gandhi was extremely shy as a child.
Gandhi was a middling student and extremely shy.
5. Great Britain released a stamp honoring him after 21 years of his death.
Great Britain was the country against whom he fought for independence.
6. Mahatma Gandhi was responsible for the Civil Rights movement in 12 countries.
Gandhi was responsible for the Civil Rights movement in 4 continents and 12 countries.
7. Mahatma Gandhi’s funeral procession was 8 kilometers long.
Thousands of people joined the funeral procession of Mahatma Gandhi.
8. Gandhi denounced Gandhism and did not want to create a cult-like following.
He also conceded that he had “…nothing new to teach the world. Truth and nonviolence are as old as the hills.”
Do you want to publish on Apple News, Google News, and more? Join our writing community, improve your writing skills, and be read by hundreds of thousands around the world!
More from Facts – News Landed
+ Interesting facts about Alexander the Great you never knew
+ Interesting Facts about Black Holes that you never knew
+ Mars Facts: Interesting facts about the Red Planet you never knew
+ Uranus: facts about the weirdest planet in our Solar System