1. At the age of 26, Sam Walton opened his first retail location. The store was a franchise of the Butler Brothers chain.
He only had a five-year lease, so at the end of the lease, the building’s proprietor took control of his business.
2. Walton once had to do a public hula dance because he lost a bet.
His then CFO David Glass thought Walmart could reach an 8% pretax profit, and the founder didn’t.
3. The Most Versatile Boy.
He took the title as the Most Versatile Boy when he graduated from David H. Hickman High School in Columbia.
4. Walton was included in Time’s list of 100 most influential people of the 20th Century in 1998.
From 1982-1988, Forbes ranked Sam Walton as the wealthiest person in the United States.
5. If Walmart were a country, it would be the 24th richest in the world.
Walmart lists its total worldwide revenue in the fiscal year ending Jan. 31, 2020, as $523.964 billion.
6. When Sam died, he left his stake in the company to his wife Helen and four children, evenly split.
Rob, Jim, Alice, and Christy Walton inherited the stakes. Christy Walton is actually the wife of his son John T. Walton who died in a plane crash. Jim Walton is the wealthiest person in Arkansas. Rob Walton is the second richest person in Arkansas.
7. Walton women have consistently been the richest women on the planet.
Christy Walton was the richest woman at one point. Alice Walton is currently the richest women.
8. They once operated the largest private satellite network.
In 1987, Walmart successfully completed its $24 million-dollar private satellite network, which connected every single store owned by its headquarters in Bentonville.
Do you want to publish on Apple News, Google News, and more? Join our writing community, improve your writing skills, and be read by hundreds of thousands around the world!
More from Facts – News Landed
+ Disturbing facts about smoking you never knew
+ Interesting Facts about Black Holes that you never knew
+ Surprising facts about Alaska you never knew
+ Uranus: facts about the weirdest planet in our Solar System
+ 12 Surprising Facts About Billionaire Entrepreneur Bill Gates